Music. Tea. Justice. (Bitey mad lady with a love of physics, food, and fiction, and a hyper-literate prog rock soundtrack.)
flower exposed to radiation from #fukishima nuclear facility Japan
This is supposedly a byproduct of the nuclear power plant disaster, yeah?
‘cause that happened in 2011, whereas instances of this photo dating from 2008 onward can be found all over the internet. I’m pretty sure this is just your average, mutated flower. Why wouldn’t there be a whole field of mutant plants? This kind of stuff happens to flowers more than you’d think, and particularly to daisies. More mutant flowers here and explanations of what can cause this kind of abnormal growth!
But yeah once again tumblr is a haven of false ‘facts.’
In which Gab provides context for my earlier post.
Imma get all science on this and talk about cesium-137, which is one of the radioactive isotopes released in the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. Technically, cesium-137 behaves chemically as potassium does, so it shouldn’t cause mutations. Actually at Chernobyl and in parts of Japan (conducted by NGOs) sunflowers and other flowers (such as amaranth) have been planted to reduce the radiation in soil since the plants use the isotopes to grow. While these plants become radioactive, I don’t think there’s any evidence that they are mutated. Once radiation is removed from the soil, the plants should be harvested, composted and stored (since they are still radioactive and all).
- I don't have sex.
- Patriarchy: Prude.
- I have sex.
- Patriarchy: Slut.
- I have safe sex.
- Patriarchy: Prude and slut at the same time.
- I got pregnant from having unprotected sex.
- Patriarchy: Dumbass slut.
- I got an abortion.
- Patriarchy: Baby killer.
- I had the kid.
- Patriarchy: Welfare queen.
- I got married, then had sex, then had a kid.
- Patriarchy: K, but we'll pay you less and blame your being a mother.
- I got married, then had sex, and became a full time mother.
- Patriarchy: You're a welfare queen too.
- I got married, then had sex, then worked at the same time.
- Patriarchy: You're a terrible mother, and don't ask us for help with daycare. Get back in the kitchen.
- I don't care what you think.
- Patriarchy: What a bitch.
- What the fuck can I do to make you happy, patriarchy?
- Patriarchy: lol what a doormat.